[Community-service] new member

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu May 6 13:08:25 UTC 2010

Hi michelle,
 AmeriCorps is but one option one has as people can go many diferent
routes to get  involved doing  good things for their community.
 one can always look for oppertunities via serve.gov, or
handsonnetwork.org   as those are good options for   finding shorter
or "episodic"  service oppertunities(a day or so).
 Generally,  AmeriCorps is a longer term oppertunity(  a couple of
months to about a year).

 I got  involvedin AmeriCorps first due to meeting a team of Corps
members who were doing work on the colorado center for the blind; one
of our three NFB Training centers. I  I liked what they were doing and
the type of program they were a part of sounded really interesting to
me.
 So,  because I Iliked the idea of traveling and meeting new people
as this particular program allowed for. I  researched it on
AmeriCorps.gov and got to look at a bunch of different oppertunities
but  chose NCCC.
 I hope that answered your question and  also provided you with some
good resources to look into.
  Best,
  Darian