[Community-service] Volunteering with teenagers/Setting yourselfapart as a volunteer

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 05:14:12 UTC 2011

Hi,
I had a similar situation. When I was volunteering with upper elementary kids at a nonprofit along with some students from my school Marymount university, I felt like the staff and students wanted to give me help vs me help them.
Its tough since you need to have experience to gain confidence and work out alternative techniques, but you also have to have confidence to get the experience. Hope that made sense.

I think its cool if you relate to them. In fact you want to be in control, but not too much like the big authority figure. Perhaps establish some authority with firm directions and rules. If they want to help, try to say, oh I can do that but thanks for the offer.
Yes its awkward when kids want to help you by guiding you instead. On the other hand, I admit I kind of took it as I did not know my way around well. I can use a cane, but orientation never has and never will be a strength. I did not touch them but I did follow their voice; gee, they would be too small to be a sighted guide anyway.

I don’t know if you need some orientation to the place or whether you know your way and don’t have  a chance to walk around.
I have not tried these suggestions I am  about to give. But I did think about this very issue of getting around and not needing sighted guides
when volunteering in a new setting where you may move from room to room with kids.
Maybe try these:
If you need to get familiar with the place,
1. Ask a staff member to orient you; I mean not formally, but maybe just explain the layout and where the main rooms are. kind of give you a tour. Mentally note landmarks and stuff like that  as you walk around.
2. Explore the place before or after your volunteer shift. I doubt they would mind you walking around.
3. I know some federationists object to placing adaptations in the environment, but
I think it can be helpful if it’s a minor change. If you need a landmark or braille numbers, then place those in the appropriate places.
Like put a sign on doors you need.

4. You said they bring you lunch stuff before you can go and find it. How about
saying to them nicely before the day starts, “I’d like to go up and get my own lunch food and drink. All I need is for you to give me directions to stand in line.” or state what you need instead. I find it takes us longer to find the food line and food itself. So people just make it easy for us and grab it for us.
Perhaps if the food is set in one place, find out and that can be part of your tour. If it changes day to day, you cannot memorize its location.

5. Try and know the kids by name and as individuals if you haven’t already.
This helps establish repport and you as a leader.
6. I don’t know much details on the group or its role. So this is a general statement. Can you try and think of something you can do that will set you apart from other volunteers and impress them? I’d give suggestions if I knew what was going on. Are you good at leading a certain activity?
Could you show them something practical  hands on? For instance how to sew on a button or since it’s the holiday time, how to make wreaths or ornaments?

HTH,
Ashley