[Community-service] Service: support, dream, reality

Juliet Salih julietsalih at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 21:40:42 UTC 2011

Hi, Darian,

This is quite a bit to think about.

As a division, the main thing I want to see is that we are rutinely involved in Community Service. I would like to see us actuallly be able to do a service project for Convention 2012.

I would like to see good communication between all involved. This is something we have struggled with quite a bit in the past, and I fault no one particular person for that. I don't really have an answer eas to how to go about solving this problem. I just know that somehow, if we are to become a division, it needs to happen.

As far as support is concerned, I would love to see mutual support for all involved. I don't mean to imply that we do not have this now.  I think we have great philosophical discussions about the importance of Community Service and the fears and challenges we have that come along with participating as blind people. As we get more involved with CS in practice, I'd love to see more discussions about challenges and how we have handled them as the relate to certain blindness skills and types of community service. I'd love the group to be one where in we can eventually bounce ideas and suggestions off of others.

In short, I would love for all of us to come to a call and report that through this group, we have realized things about both ourselves and others that we did not know. I would love to see each of us reach new levels of confidence while also gaining a feeling of pride because we know we have made the life of one person just a little easier.

I hope this sort of answers your question.

Julie