[Community-service] Save service

Nallym Bravo nbrav003 at fiu.edu
Sat Sep 10 03:45:38 UTC 2011

Hello all,

I would like to share a piece of information with you which I learned today at Americorps kick-off training. We had someone speak to us about how the future of service is in doubt: All programs under the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), are facing the possibility of serious cuts from congress due to the tough economic times the nation is facing. What is important to remember, however, is that times like these are when service is crucial for the community. CNCS encompasses many programs which help thousands of people give back each year.

Although it is devastating to consider the possibility of this congressional action, we can make a difference. On Thursday, September 15, hundreds of service workers are going to DC to speak to members of congress. It is also a national call day when we can call our senators and tell them why they have to vote to save service.

Call your senators on Thursday. It will only take a few minutes, but it can make a difference that will impact this country for years to come. Just think about all the lives that are touched each day by American's who are dedicated to service. Let's keep it going.

The number to call is
1-855 US-SERVe
(1855-877-3783.

For more information on the Save Service campaign or to pledge to call, visit:
www.saveservice.org.

Let's act now.

Sincerely,
Nallym Bravo