[Community-service] National Mentoring Month

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:50:53 UTC 2012

Mentorship can be a very powerful thing to be sure.
  In the National Federation of the Blind, we tend to mentor by role
modeling ways that we as  blind people go about our daily lives (how
we travel using cane or dog, wread, write and communicate using
braille,technologies, interact with the sighted public).
  this can be done  by showing people how to treat others, helping
people  become successful students, or just a host of  other ways.
 one way that I was able to do this, was by being a mentor in a
pan-disability youth leadership forum.  I was  able to interact with
the youth in that program in  a very simpledown-to -earth way.
 I didn't need to impress them withstories about what great awards I
had, or how great a student I was, or how many states/countries I've
been to.
 Believe it or not, I didn't have to impress them withhow comfortable
I am with my blindness-- infact, all I had to do was to just be there.
 I just had to listen when needed, relate when i could, point people
in the right direction when possible, but just be myself in the end.
 I had  the most fun when I connected in such a way.  People knew me
because i was energetic, loud, and willing to chat people up.
  I don't know if I've made a great impact on many of them, but I'm
pretty sure  that looking back the youth in the program will remember
me and take something positive from the expirience.
  Thanks for reading,
  Darian