[Community-service] September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 15:41:30 UTC 2012

http://www.serve.gov/sept11.asp

September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance

The September 11th National Day of Service and Remembrance is the
culmination of efforts originally launched in 2002 by the 9/11
nonprofit MyGoodDeed with
wide support by the 9/11 community and leading national service
organizations. This effort first established the inspiring tradition
of engaging in charitable
service on 9/11 as an annual and forward-looking tribute to the 9/11
victims, survivors, and those who rose up in service in response to
the attacks.

In 2009, Congress designated September 11th as a National Day of
Service and Remembrance under bipartisan federal law, and charged the
Corporation for National
and Community Service with helping to support this effort across the
country. For the anniversary, CNCS is working with MyGoodDeed and
numerous other organizations
to implement one of the largest days of charitable service in U.S. history.

September 11th: Honor Our Heroes - YouTube frame

Flash movie start
September 11th: Honor Our Heroes
Play
Share
More info
Flash movie end

September 11th: Honor Our Heroes - YouTube frame end

Paying Tribute

On the anniversary of the September 11th attacks, Americans will unite
in service in the same remarkable way that so many came together
following the attacks.

As in years past, we anticipate service and remembrance activities in
all 50 states
, at which there will be opportunities for hundreds of thousands of
volunteers to paint and refurbish homes, run food drives, spruce up
schools, reclaim
neighborhoods, and support and honor veterans, soldiers, military
families, and first responders. To find opportunities to serve during
this year’s September
11th Day of Service and Remembrance, you can look for projects using
the project locator tool. Or, to organize a service project in your
area, find toolkits
and other resources
here.

Many people were moved to act in the days following the attacks of
2001 and long after.
CNCS gathered stories of people whose lives and paths were changed by
9/11, and who have dedicated themselves to service as a result.

--
Darian Smith

"Let's work together to eliminate Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities"

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

"To dream what is possible and to put oneself in service of that dream is the
formula
for a life well lived."

- Dr. Peter Benson