[Community-service] Being turned away.

Chris Parsons christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 3 00:08:55 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I was in National Honor Society in high school, and I needed to do a certain
number of volunteer hours. We have a no-kill animal shelter not five minutes
from my house, and I love animals, so I thought that this would be perfect.
The school bus also dropped kids off there every day to walk the dogs, so
there wouldn't even be any transportation difficulties.

But when my mom called them and told them I wanted to volunteer, and that I
am blind, the man she talked to said that I couldn't because of insurance
reasons and because "she wouldn't know when the cats were about to fight, so
she might get scratched."

For some reason that I no longer remember, both Mom and I, usually strong
advocates, let it go, and I ended up finding a really awesome opportunity to
help a young blind student in one of our local elementary schools with her
reading, which eventually turned into helping the entire class. But I
learned a lot from that experience, even if I didn't realize the lessons
until years later.

In hindsight, I should definitely have been the one to handle the situation
from start to finish instead of letting my Mom make the call. My mom has
always been a huge advocate for me, and she knows quite a bit about what a
blind person can do, but as a high school student and the person who would
ultimately be doing the  volunteering, I could have listened to the man's
concerns and then explained how I would handle them.

Just as a cool final note, my sister and I both now volunteer at this
shelter once a week with the cats, and no one seems to have an issue with us
getting scratched or slipping on the floor after it's been mopped or
anything.

Chris