[Community-service] Community Service Group Update.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 19:24:04 UTC 2013

Greetings,

 The Community Service Group has been busy putting together activities
that will promote community service to the blind, and encourage
involvement in this area.
 We are working on identifying   and developing partnerships with
organizations with large national networks in order to become a
two-way resource for both expertise and service.

 We are working on ways to arm chapters and affiliates with the
resources and tools needed to   get their members engaged with those
agencies who are looking for willing, able and committed citizens to
help them address critical needs such as hunger, homelessness,
education, environment, etc
 We are talking about the real work that needs to be done if we are to
be considered an official and sustainable division of the Federation.
 We are talking about ways to fundraise in order to establish the
discretionary funding needed to support any potential future service
projects at convention/programs to advance service opportunities for
the blind.
 We want to see you involved.  We want your involvement because you
are service-minded and service-minded means that you see an
opportunity to do something that you believe will benefit your
community, and are willing to give of yourself in whatever way you can
to see that which you believe in come to be.
 Many ask “how can I help?” or say “I want to be involved—sign me up!”
which’s a very exciting and encouraging thing and I appreciate your
interest.
  Here is how you can help:
 We currently have the following committees which are active in their planning:
 Convention service project: This committee is working together to
plan a project at national Convention that will address both the
desire for the blind to be involved in the service field in the same
way that the sighted are, and the idea that we can, do and will work
shoulder to shoulder with our sighted peers to better the world we
live in.

The Fundraising Committee:  Working on Creative ways to fundraise for our group.
  I encourage you to keep a lookout for any notes the committees send
out and be ready to latch on to a committee  as they come.
 Additionally, if you have an idea for a committee, or have an idea
for a topic for a conference call or speaker/topic area for our next
community service meeting at national convention, please be in touch
with me.
  Best,
  Darian

--
Darian Smith

Text the word BLIND to 85944 to donate $10 to the NFB Imagination Fund
via your phone bill.

The time is now to eliminate Subminimum Wages for People with Disabilities

http://www.nfb.org/fairwages

“We know not of our future, but we know of our past. A past that is
made up of our ancestor’s Dreams, their stories and hopes.
These sights once seen, sounds heard and emotions felt are now our
knowledge. The knowledge that guides us to this very moment…”
-Darian Smith