[Community-service] emergency and disaster volunteers

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 17 02:10:30 UTC 2013

Denise,
That’s good your experience went well in the first aid class.
I’ve definitely considered taking a first aid class.
What topics were in the first aid class? Did it cover how to treat burns and cuts?
Did you find the instructor willing to be accomodating?

When volunteering for emergency and military services at Red Cross,
was this from home? I’ve searched for community service activities a lot and a few years ago, in the summer, between school terms I tried to get into the Red Cross.
They said all the nice and right things so I went through a background check and then had someone install jaws at the office.
I thought I could volunteer in the fundraising department in the office.
But they wouldn’t take the time to train me or give me work to do once I got there, other than a few times stuffing envelopes.

Its good you volunteered for Red Cross; it’s a great organization.

I’m curious to know if anyone has volunteered on a Community Emergency Response Team, CERT, to help with disasters.

Thanks.
Ashley