[Community-service] emergency and disaster volunteers

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Thu Sep 19 19:05:09 UTC 2013

Hi Denise, and all,

I love the fact that they won't let us do certain
things, when we can at times do them better than
someone else whose only supposedly 'better'
qualification is sight. Sighted world or not, some
people are still not better, just because they can
see. It is convenient, though, I'll give that.

I'm part of the Emergency & Disaster Planning
group here at our local Independence Center.
Apparently, right now, our IC is the only IC in
Colorado that has specifically hired someone to
work with the city & governments regionally,
regarding evacuations of the disabled and such
things that go along with the field. This all came
about due to some issues with evacuations last
year during the Waldo Canyon Fire. So our guy has
contacts with our region's newest FEMA reps and
all that fun stuff. Because this region's rep
recently got hired to be the head over the
nation's FEMA people who work with disability orgs
and the like. So it's fun right now. We might
actually be able to make significant steps forward
with the eyebrows that got raised after last
year's disaster.

In regards to the Red Cross, several years ago I
went down to the local Red Cross office after
talking a couple of times on the phone. The phone
calls went very well and I explained how I would
be happy to do phone work, computer work, and even
help with the newsletter. When I got there
in-person, I believe my blindness changed things,
though I can't prove it. The woman in charge
talked a bit, took my contact info, marked down
the areas I was interested in and willing to help
with, and we parted ways. Though I called her once
after that, I've never heard back from her at all.
She put me off on someone else in charge of the
newsletter supposedly, but I never heard back from
either, and the big problem with all this is that
I did not push it. I let it fall by the curbside,
and that was my mistake. So in truth it's more on
me than on them, as I did not advocate well for
myself, nor push the issue, when it comes right
down to it.

Denise, please tell Adam I said hello -- and I
hope you both are enjoying life these days. ;-)

Strive On!
Everett