[Community-service] Workshops

Chris Parsons christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 15 01:43:09 UTC 2014

Hi Cheryl and all,

Cheryl, thank you for your thoughtful response. You have a lot of really
good ideas about workshop topics and structure. If you are interested in
doing so, I agree with Mary Ann that I think you would have a lot to bring
to the workshop committee.

As Mary Ann mentioned, there is a particular flurry of e-mails about
Convention activities right now because Convention is the time that brings a
lot of people together from across the country, and we want to take
advantage of this to plan a handful of activities. However, we have in place
or are working on developing opportunities for people to network, share
ideas, and get involved outside of Convention.

We have this listserv, which depends on the posts and collective efforts of
its members. To anyone who is reading this, if you have a question about
community service, feel free to ask it here. If you have participated in a
service project, you are encouraged to write about it here or see if it
could be included on our blog (nfbcommunityservice.wordpress.com). If you
have a service-related resource or article that you find interesting or
helpful, please share it. Michele Mitchell currently chairs a committee that
is putting together a resource list of community service-related
organizations, Web sites, etc. that we hope to be able to use to point
interested people to service opportunities in their area.

We have begun our organizing efforts on the national level; however, because
service helps those in one's local community, one of our ultimate goals is
to have one person in each affiliate who will coordinate the community
service efforts of that affiliate and the chapters within it. Cheryl, I love
the idea of a national project outside of Convention in which each affiliate
would participate.

We also have the conference call workshops that Mary Ann's committee
develops. If anyone has ideas for workshop topics, please don't hesitate to
let Mary Ann know.

Finally, Cheryl, you state that it is difficult to define what the purpose
of the group is. I see that Mary Ann has included a brief description of the
group's purpose in her response. Does this make the purpose clearer? If not,
what do you, or anyone else on the list, believe we could do to make this
purpose clearer? Cheryl, you are right that as a group seeks to become a
division, we must have a clear and well-defined purpose, and if this is not
happening, we certainly want to know this and also what we can do to make it
clearer.

Chris Parsons