[Community-service] How to find an opportunity

jonathan franks franks.jonathan13 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:15:50 UTC 2014

The NFB of Texas Austin Chapter is currently in the process of having
a community service event in October. It will be at the Salvation Army
and the event is called the Birthday Wagon. Each month, the Salvation
Army puts on a birthday celebration for all the homeless kids for
their birthday. Typically there are around 30-40 kids who attend and
there are numerous activities such as face painting, playing with
playdough, bingo and cupcakes and drinks are made and brought.

There is a list sent out with all of the kids who are at the shelter
whose birthday is that month and gifts are bought and donated to them.
I along with Marcey Gonzalez have participated in this event numerous
times.

The NFB Austin Chapter believe that this would be a great idea for our
members to partake in and increase awareness that blind people can
participate in numerous types of events.

We are actually having the training tonight so that we may participate
in the event.