[Community-service] Discrimination in volunteering based onblindness

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 31 20:23:03 UTC 2014

Hi Aleeha,

Wow, what an experience. Me too.
I feel so lonely in this regard because it seems like most people integrate
fine in their respective employment settings or volunteer work.
Now, that you all shared this, I can most assuredly identify with your
struggles to be included and contribute.
I'm not giving up though, and despite my parents pushing me to do office
work only, I have a desire to assist kids, with and without disabilities,
and you better bet I'm going to perform some community service work in that
area.
Kids need all the help they can get. Volunteering in this area is a
wonderful idea, and
now with budget cuts coupled with two parents working, they need volunteers
more than ever! Kids need help! Kids need adult role models!

I  did a combo work and volunteer thing this summer. It was both because as
a permanent sub once a week, I was allowed to come in extra days if I wanted
to as a volunteer.

I worked at a therapeutic rec camp for kids with disabilities.
I really need ideas because I am going back to get a job! I want to
contribute more.

I  have tunnel vision; I felt left out as you did. I'm not the best
spatially; I need more time to learn an environment, time absent as I only
worked once a week. So I needed some sighted guide or at least someone
beside me saying right or left. This usually was not an issue to get as
there was another volunteer in the classroom at one school and the other
school, I followed the noise of people and it was a square so I ended up
feeling much more oriented there anyway.

Anyway, its very hard. I was not intentially ignored, but it was a setting
where you are not told what to do. but rather, they start an activity
and staff and volunteers pitch in.
Its not too structured. Its not like staff and volunteers have specific
tasks. The only one with specific tasks is the leader of the classroom.

I saw that everything was passed out. People were helping the kids. I went
up to a few of them. they did not need help.
Some activities proved a little visual; like the arts and crafts; and even
board  games.
Man, how do you assist kids when its quite visual?

Barriers to my participation included the fact I did not know who needed
assistance, I could not distinguish all colors, cannot cut straight so could
not assist in prepping for the craft, and did not know how to safely push
wheelchairs.

I did contribute some, so I cannot say I was
on the side. but as a perfectionist and one who cares deeply about
contributing to make kid's lives better, I yearn to do more.

Here are a handful of ways I contributed.

A few days I assisted in cleaning up the table by clearing it of supplies. I
put all markers in their boxes and picked up more items.
I also wiped down some mat the kids lay on for  rest.

Other days, I helped out with lunch by opening containers or bottles for the
kids. The kids have fine motor problems and needed assistance.

One day we did a marble art activity in which marbles are rolled around in
paint and create a picture.
I helped some kids do this using hand over hand.

I hope things improve Aleeha. If you know how to help kids and are patient,
there is no reason why you should not be assisting.

If you have specifics such as the type of setting, age group, the size of
the group, and what volunteers generally were supposed to do, maybe I can
brainstorm ideas, even though I faced this issue too.
Generally, I find that working with a small group of kids versus a large
class makes it easier to handle. I mean a small group is much easier to get
a grip on  what is happening when you're sitting at one table with them.

Some ideas I have are to read to them and come up with a tactile craft I can
lead. Maybe popcicle sticks for instance.
If its tactile, I'd check on them by touching their activity and talking to
them.

Another idea I have is to be more proactive. I'm going to get the schedule
ahead of time, help plan activities if possible, and talk to them beforehand
when kids arrive to see where I can fit. Then, just do it, and demonstrate I
can help.

Ashley