[Community-service] Direct Service Volunteering * discussion starter*

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 02:29:23 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I agree with Jonathan. This is the majority of the kind of service I have participated in over the years. I would much rather jump in and get my hands dirty than do paperwork/data entry, etc. I know that stuff is important, but I found it far easier for me to get involved by doing direct service. If working at the check in desk at a homeless shelter isn’t easily accessible, why not volunteer to clean dishes? That was always my job when I volunteered at the homeless shelter in college. The staff knew me and knew that was where I felt most comfortable chipping in. It was definitely a messy job, but I could do it just as fast and as well as anyone else. Or why not bring a deck of braille cards and play spades while you hang out with the residents after dinner?

In my experience, non profits generally have a variety of jobs that need doing. It just takes some creativity and time to find how you can best help. I have found this is generally easier when you go with a friend but it is definitely doable by yourself. Confidence is the key. If you approach it with an attitude of, “I’m not really sure where I can help,” you are far less likely to find something you really like doing than if you come in and ask what needs to be done and then pick from a list. If you expect them to find something for you to do, chances are they will not. If you take matters into your own hands, just like any other type of advocacy, it is far easier to find something you can/want to do and gives others a greater confidence in your abilities.

Good article Darian. Thanks for posting.

-Greg