[Community-service] Seeking ideas for the community servicegroupseminar at national convention

Serenqa Nickell scnickell1980 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 17:04:09 UTC 2014

Hi Darian
The organization is called Let's Rock & Roll & Change the World.  It can
also be found on Facebook for those who are interested in liking the page.
We are based in Wichita Kansas but the founders of the organization would
like to branch out in to other towns and cities.  Members of Let's Rock &
Roll & Change the World do outreach every day but Sunday's are our biggest
day.  The organization is working on getting their nonprofit status right
now.  It's still pretty new.
I got involved because my cousin Chris passed away in December of last year.
He had substance abuse issues for years but apparently for the last year or
two of his life he'd been homeless and many people, including members of his
own family weren't aware of it.  He passed away in an alley during the first
cold snap we had.  During this time people from this organization got to
know Chris and they reached out to his family.
While I live in Wichita I'm originally from a small town.  Two of Chris'
aunts along with several members of the community where I'm from began
volunteering on Sundays.  My mother and I followed suit.
I worked as a receptionist for a Center for Independent living for several
years and worked with all kinds of people including homeless people and
since I didn't work directly with them it was easy to compartmentalize for
me.  It's a lot harder to think of a homeless person as a statistic
especially if you know them and their story.
I'm sorry about the long response.  I guess I had a lot more emotions than I
realized while writing this.  (smile)
Serena