[Community-service] What tells me we have work to do

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 06:05:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,
  a month or so ago I had a conversation with my old unit leader in AmeriCorps NCCC.
 I was talking with him about what to expect  as a part of the job when applying to be a team leader in the program.
 We had talked about the various situations teams face  due  to the very fluid nature of the program and how team leaders need to be prepared for it.
 He had suggested to me that the  femacorps program might be an easier program for me as a blind person because of the lack of variety in projects, that because it was mainly  administrative, it would be easier for me to operate in it.
 there was more to  the conversation,  but I say that to say that programs such as this with people who have no prior  experience with blindness expect us to only work with the blind, to have very limited skill-sets and a lack of true belief in our real abilities.
 The idea that we should stay home in our rocking chairs is not that far behind us.  The idea that we are only capable of assembly line work, not  anything that shows that we move, think, act, operate like our  sighted peers is present today.
 I think this shows that we have work to do.
  What Say you?