[Community-service] Speakers/ National Organizations

Darian dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 00:59:37 UTC 2014

Hi everyone.
First, your messages are coming through perfectly Michelle.
Second, good idea Cheryl, good idea.
Actually considered the idea and ran it by some folks at national who thought it might be best if it were integrated into meet the blind month.
I think that such a good idea could be modified in this manner: coordinate a service project on a day of service (E. G. Martin Luther King day of service or 9/11 day of service.)
We could also do something in April. I believe that this is far enough away from meet the blind month but close enough to national convention where we can get people excited for all three things.
National global youth service Day is in the month of April. This is wonderful for our student divisions if we were to get by in from them.
All of this said, such a coordinated effort would need someone or some people who will be willing to take responsibility for it. At the moment, I can't. and I typically look to someone or some people who feel strongly enough about it to see if they might want to do something about it.  My gut feeling tells me that we are probably a couple of years away from coordinating such an effort.  I look forward to being proven wrong.

Michelle Mitchell brought up a really good idea regarding alternative materials for service The next question is, how do we make something like this happen? It isn't too far-fetched that this group might take on such a project. The idea is conceived, so that is a start.
Again, people… We need people (don't we always?). Maybe a group of people might form and we might try to work collaboratively with the Jernigan Institute.
Such a collaboration would be very beneficial for all involved.
Thoughts? Volunteers? :-)

This electronic message has been brought to you by my mobile device.