[Community-service] Getting one's hands dirty.

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 17:08:12 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

  I’ve been thinking about  the concept of collection projects such as  food drives, toy drives and so-on and their benefits to community and self.
 I like the idea of collection drives in that if you identify a worthy charity you can make a difference in a person/family/community’s quality of life.

 I’ve found that hands-on  projects  such as preparing  food to be served, organizing  food that will be donated out, educating the community on issues that impact  that area, tutoring ,  painting / beautifying a building  has it’s own impacts in that not only does it better the community, but  the people involved  gain skills and confidence that allow them to share what they have learned, inspire them to  continue service and make long -lasting connections.  that may lead to to employment among other things.

  Because  a chief issue plaguing blindness is not so  much blindness it’s self, but the widespread misunderstandings  people have of it.
 how can we use such a potentially powerful tool as service  to start to make real headway in changing those misunderstandings and opening doors to employment, friendship and  collaborations?
 how does such a thing get done via the  afore mentioned drives or the hands-on work?

 thoughts?
    Darian