[Community-service] The Community Service Division on social media

Chris Parsons christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 5 20:55:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The purpose of my final message for today is twofold.

First, I wanted to let everyone know all the ways you can engage with the Community Service Division on social media. Many of you are probably familiar with some of this because it’s been mentioned at one time or another, but for anyone who is new to the list or anyone who doesn’t know, I wanted to put it all in one place.

1. Listserv: If you’re reading this message, then you already know that we have a listserv. Feel free to use it to ask questions about service or specific service projects you’re interested/involved in, like Justin did this morning; post service-related articles, like I did this afternoon; share service-related resources; network with others who are serving with the same organization or in the same program you are; share ideas for projects individuals, families, chapters, affiliates, etc. can get involved in; or just talk about community service-related topics. From time to time, members of the division’s board and committee chairs will post general information of interest or updates on what their committees are doing, like the updates I send when I post a new article to the blog.

2. Blog: Again, as many of you are probably aware, we have a blog at nfbcommunityservice.wordpress.com. We are always looking for people to write service-related articles for us, so if you have a service experience you’d like to share, or something else service-related that you think people should read about, let me know. I’m the social media committee chair, and my e-mail address is christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net. We also have monthly blog themes, so if one of your service experiences fits the topic for a particular month, feel free to write something up and send it to me. This month, we’re looking for stories from Federationists who have served in AmeriCorps.

3. Twitter: The Community Service Division has a Twitter presence @NFBCSDivision. Feel free to follow us and get in the conversation. I found the two articles I posted this afternoon on our Twitter timeline, so there’s a lot of cool stuff going on over there that you should check out.

4. Facebook: We also have a Facebook group, and you can find it by searching for “NFB Community Service Division.” I’m one of the handful of people left who doesn’t have a Facebook , so Facebook is clearly not my area of expertise.

Which brings me to the second reason for my message.

As I mentioned earlier, I chair the Community Service Division’s social media committee. I’m looking for a few creative, social media-savvy people to join the committee, help out with some of the social media efforts of the division, and brainstorm some ideas for how we can use social media to engage our members more and reach out to even more people. If this sounds like something you’d be good at and could have some fun with, send me an e-mail at christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net. A division Web site is also in the works, and depending on how things go, we may in the near future be in need of someone with the skills to maintain it. If you think that could be you, please also get in contact with me.

Chris Parsons
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division