[Community-service] On the "Hill" and in the community.

Cheryl Fields cherylelaine1957 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 03:38:00 UTC 2015

A few weeks ago, I was at my regular community service project. A monthly food distribution and Senator Sherrod Brown and his wife were there for about an half hour. He was very cordial, as usual and his wife is very kind and friendly. However, I administrate this program and was extremely busy, others were trying to engage him and if he did not observe that I am blind no one probably mentioned it. They would not mention that I am a member of nfb either. When I am there I do not use my cane and most folks are used to me, no novelty.
As a matter of fact, I never thought about speaking to him about nfb, lots of activity during the food distribution. The new ceo of the greater Cleveland Food Bank was there with her admin assistant, they arrived early and I had lots of time to talk to them, again, nfb did not enter the conversation.
I believe that we must remain visible in our communities at every level. Work diligently and sincerely while volunteering. When it is time to meet with legislators, maybe we could invite them to us a little more often so that the nfb name/ brand is firmly placed into their minds. This is quite a quandary. Perhaps, we should ask ourselves what we wish to achieve when volunteering, Cheryl