[Community-service] The NFB Community Service Division social media committee needs you!

Chris Parsons christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 21 21:35:21 UTC 2015

Hi all,

My name is Chris Parsons. I’m the vice president of the NFB Community Service Division and the chair of the division’s social media committee, which is currently in charge of maintaining the division’s Twitter, Facebook, listserv, blog, and our brand new Web site. With all of these tasks in mind, and as we look toward growing the division and bringing more people in, I want to strengthen the social media committee so that it can be an even more effective tool for networking and outreach efforts as well as for spreading our message and getting more blind people involved in community service.

I’m looking for some creative, social media-savvy people to work with me in this effort by joining the committee, helping out with some of the social media efforts of the division, and brainstorming some ideas for how we can use social media to engage our members more and reach out to even more people. More specifically, I need the following:

1. People who know Facebook, use Facebook, and would be interested in promoting the division through our Facebook group. Much of what we include on the Facebook group mirrors what is posted by the division board on our listserv. In addition to that, I’d like people with some creative ideas about how we might use Facebook even more as a promotion tool.

2. People who know Twitter, use Twitter, and would be interested in promoting the division through our Twitter handle @nfbcsdivision. This would mainly entail retweeting items of interest from our timeline, tweeting community service-related questions and thought-provokers to bring more people into the conversation, and tweeting about upcoming conference calls and other notable division events and happenings.

3. People to help with the listserv. As part of our social media effort, I want to see this listserv become more active. To that end, I’m looking for people to join the social media committee who have some creative ideas for discussion topics and/or thought-provokers that might stimulate some discussion on the listserv. I’m also looking for people who would be interested in looking for community service-related resources or interesting articles to post every so often for informational and discussion purposes. One way I used to do this is to look on the division’s Twitter timeline and see if there were any interesting articles or resources tweeted on a given day that I could post to the listserv. Twitter proved to be a great resource for this type of thing.

4. People to help with the Web site. The Community Service Division is about ready to launch a Web site! I am likely going to be doing much of the maintenance for it to begin with, but I’d love to have at least one other Web-savvy person to help with this effort.

5. People who have creative ideas about how to solicit blog entries and get people excited about writing for our blog. This might also include some editing of received blog entries depending on how many we get at one time.

If any of this sounds like something you’d be good at and could have some fun with, send me an e-mail at christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net. If you’ve been wanting to get directly involved in the work of this new and growing division, this might just be your opportunity.

I’d like to establish a consistent day and time each month for the social media committee meeting, so when you send me an e-mail indicating your interest, please also give me a few possibilities for days that you would be available each month to attend a committee meeting, probably no longer than a half hour.

I am excited about the things that this committee will do the rest of this year and beyond, and I am looking forward to working with you in this effort.

Chris Parsons
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division