[Community-service] November Nfb Community Service Division Update

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Mon Nov 2 22:02:18 UTC 2015

Fellow  Federationists
  As you know, the National Federation of the Blind Community Service  Division is a division full of dreams, ambition, and passion.  We believe in the collective action of the Federation and the transformative impact of community Service.
 in an effort to keep our membership in the loop with the most recent goings on within the division, we have put together the first of what might be   many monthly updates that are designed to give you a quick snapshot  of what the leaders in the division are up to and  provide those who want it an opportunity to be a part of the growing  movement within the movement  that is  positioned to build the federation by inspiring collective action through   community service and advocacy.
 Because the work of our division is done via committees we wanted to share with you what those committees have been up to.
 So below you will find updates from  committee chairs and information that will allow you to contact them.
 Thanks and enjoy!

From the Fundraising Committee-
 The Following Comes from  Treasurer and committee chair Corina Salinas:
Our fundraising Committee is in the process of great things.  At this time we are focusing on setting up Seasonal fundraisers, year round fundraisers, as well as brainstorming for national convention ideas.  For this holiday season we are wanting to set up an Amazon Smile account where a percentage of select items are donated to our division when you shop on Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/>. We are also looking into creating NFB Community Service merchandise.
 Please e-mail me at: Corina.d.salinas at gmail.com <mailto:Corina.d.salinas at gmail.com> if you are interested in the work of the fundraising committee,   we could really use your help with these projects.

From The Social Media Committee-
  The Following Comes from Vice President and Committee Chair Chris Parsons:
As many of you know, the National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division has recently launched a Web site at www.nfbcommunityservice.org <http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/>. Huge thanks go to Joe Orozco for helping us set it up. Feel free to be in contact with us to let us know what you think of the site and anything else you would like to see included in the future. Now that the site is up and running, we are getting ready to launch some new content for the blog. The first of these entries will be posted around the time of this update. If you have any ideas for blog entries or would like to write one of your own, feel free to get in contact with me at blog at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:blog at nfbcommunityservice.org>. Over the past month, we have also been hard at work promoting the various committee calls on the listserv and Twitter as well as retweeting some service-related content that we thought you might enjoy or find interesting. Finally, the social media committee is always looking for people interested in helping us promote the division and its activities through social media. If this sounds like something you might enjoy, don’t hesitate to e-mail me at christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net. <mailto:christine-parsons at sbcglobal.net.>

From the Publications committee-
The Following coms from Secretary and committee Chair Hindley Williams:
The Publications Committee of the Community Service Division had a
productive and exciting month this October. We are pleased to announce
that our newsletter, which came out in July of 2015, now has been
cataloged under a URL with the launch of the division's new, revamped
web site. In addition, our committee is embarking on the exciting
journey of putting together our second newsletter, which will be
released after the New Year. If you have any ideas that you would like
to see be included in the newsletter either for the January issue or
for future issues, or if you have any ideas for publications in
general that would be valuable for this division, please send your
ideas to the committee chair, Hindley Williams, at
hbwilliams16 at gmail.com <mailto:hbwilliams16 at gmail.com>.

From the Projects Committee-
 The Following comes from Board Member and committee Chair Jonathan Franks:
Greetings all,
The National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division
Projects Committee is looking for interested committee members to
assist in the fruition of the Service Challenge. The Service Challenge
is a friendly competition amongst individuals, groups, divisions,
chapters and affiliates to encourage the creation of an innovative
community service challenge.

We will be asking the participants of the challenge to create the most
innovative community service projects and activities  that not only help our communities, but show that the blind are not just passive recipients but active participants in our lives and our communities. . These individuals will write
testimonials of how this project has allowed them to communicate that blindness is not the   characteristic that defines them and the impact they have in their community.  .

If you are interested or have any questions, please email me at
jfranks at nfbtx.org <mailto:jfranks at nfbtx.org>.

Darian Smith
President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org

Twitter: @NFBCSDivision, at goldengateace

Facebook: search for “National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“