[Community-service] Meet the Blind Month

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Thu Oct 8 23:09:50 UTC 2015

Darian and all,

The Austin, Texas Chapter will be holding numerous events during Meet
the Blind Month.

We will be having a table at the Arts Market that is held near the
University of Texas Campus on October 17th. We have numerous NFB
literature, Braille writing tools such as a Braille Writer, different
Slate and Styluses. Braille Alphabet Cards, and demonstrations of the
KNFB reader and other NFB Aps. Also, we bring sleep shades and give
our sighted friends the opportunity to learn how to properly use a
long white cane.

Members of the NFB Austin Chapter will be volunteering in manning the
NFB of Texas newsline table talking about newsline and signing people
up during White Cane Day on October 14th.

On October 26th, we will be holding the second Annual NFB Austin
Birthday Wagon Halloween party at the Salvation Army children's
Shelter. This event is where we put on a mass birthday party for all
of the children that are having a birthday in October and all the
other children in the shelter. Birthday gifts are boughten and donated
to the children, cupcakes are made, goody bags are put together,
numerous tables are manned by our chapter members that will include a
pumpkin decorating table, Halloween mask decorating, playdough, a
bingo table where parents will play bingo in order to attempt to win
prizes for their kids.

The two weekends prior to the event chapter members get together to
put together the goody bags and we all decorate the cupcakes with
Halloween themed candy and frosting the day before the event.

I look forward to reading about what other people have to say about
what their chapters are doing for Meet the Blind Month!

Warm Regards,

Jonathan Franks