[Community-service] The Making of the 2016 Nfb Community Service Division

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Sat Feb 6 05:17:21 UTC 2016

Dear  Community Service Division Members,

>  2015 was a very good year in the history of our young division(Check out our year in review: http://nfbcommunityservice.org/2015_a_year_of_celebration_and_collaboration <http://nfbcommunityservice.org/2015_a_year_of_celebration_and_collaboration>).
>  It was so because we all  worked together to make it possible.
>  As we move forward into a new year, it is time to think of new goals for ourselves and our division.
>  How can we continue our mission of breaking down the barriers to full  participation by serving our communities?
> How can we continue to model the true capabilities of the blind by  giving of our time and talents to improve the neighborhoods, cities, states and country we live in?  How do we do this along side our sighted neighbors  while introducing them to our federation family and our strong organized blindness movement?
>  what  are the tools (programs and projects we will use to accomplish these things?
>  The Community Service Division of the National Federation of the Blind needs your help in figuring  out the direction we will go in 2016.
>  We are looking for  ideas and more importantly, we are looking for leaders who would be  willing enough and committed enough to  drive the direction of this division.
>  The work of our division is something that I take personally because I have seen the impact  just a few hours working together with  friends has had on a community garden or a park which was once unable to be fully enjoyed by community members.  I also have heard the stories of organizations that are always looking for volunteers, but close their minds and their doors to  blind people who only wish to selflessly contribute.
>  I have gained skills, experiences and lifelong connections as a result of the volunteer/community service work I have done, and I want more blind people to come to know the life changing experiences and opportunities I have known.
>  I want our chapters to grow together in new ways by putting our philosophy into physical action and to use community service as a  vehicle to convey an intellectual  understanding of what blindness truly is.        .
>  We look forward to hearing from you, the leadership role you want to play and the things you want to help bring to fruition.
>   Please  feel free to get a hold of us with your thoughts and ideas by e-mailing us at: info at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:info at nfbcommunityservice.org>.
>  Let’s get involved!
>  Regards,
>   Darian

> Darian Smith

President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org

Twitter: @NFBCSDivision, at goldengateace

Facebook: search for “National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“