[Community-service] {Disarmed} MLK Day of Service Unites Americans in Volunteer Service

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Fri Jan 15 21:06:50 UTC 2016

> http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4 <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4>
>
>  <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#>4 <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4#> <>Receive Updates
>  <http://www.nationalservice.gov/>
> MLK Day of Service Unites Americans in Volunteer Service
> Corporation for National & Community Service sent this bulletin at 01/15/2016 12:52 PM EST
>  <>
> Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page <http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USCNCS/bulletins/1306ae4>.
>

> For Immediate Release
> Samantha Jo Warfield, CNCS
> Friday, January 15, 2016
> pressoffice at cns.gov <mailto:pressoffice at cns.gov>; 202-606-6775
>
> MLK Day of Service Unites Americans in Volunteer Service
> Hundreds of thousands will mark the day of service with projects in all 50 states
>
> WASHINGTON, D.C. – On Monday, January 18, thousands of organizations across the across the country will lead Americans in the nation's largest day of civic engagement, the annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. National Day of Service.
> With an emphasis on creating opportunity for all, citizens in all 50 states will deliver meals, refurbish schools and community centers, and collect food and clothing. Volunteers will also recruit mentors, build homes and provide other services for veterans and military families, and help citizens improve their financial literacy skills.
> “Dr. King’s life is a shining example that one person can make a difference and change the course of history,” said Wendy Spencer, CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). “By volunteering in communities across the nation on the MLK Day of Service, we honor his legacy through the spirit of service.  I am honored to serve alongside the hundreds of thousands of Americans who are dedicating a day to give back, and I am convinced that the day will inspire many to make volunteering part of their lives all year long.”
> In 1994, Congress designated MLK Day as the first and only federal holiday observed as a national day of service, and charged CNCS with leading this effort. Participants in the agency's AmeriCorps and Senior Corps programs are leading and participating in projects across the country. Americans may visit MLKDay.gov <http://www.mlkday.gov/>  to find a service project for MLK Day or a year-round volunteer opportunity in their own community.
> [...]

Darian Smith
President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org <http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/>

Twitter: @NFBCSDivision, at goldengateace

Facebook: search for “National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“