[Community-service] community service reward program idea...

Graham Mehl gmehl at verizon.net
Thu Jul 21 12:40:03 UTC 2016

Hi Tara,

I really like the energy you have and encourage you to try all sort of
things. With that said I have some wisdom to share from experience and I do
not want to make you think this idea is bad or to discourage you.  Just so
you know I was employed by a company that had multi thousand employees that
had a similar program. For about 6 years I sat on the board of a chapter for
a volunteer organization of said company. The chapter I was apart of had
anywhere from 700 to 1000 registered members.

Organizing and running a reward program is a lot of work. Entering all ghe
info into a spreadsheet is a lot of work to make sure you do not have
duplicate people that are the same. A web site form is what my company did,
and the employees had logins so they were able to liminate the duplication.
This approach maybe over board for our group, but something to think about.
Not all people want to get recognized and just volunteer. It needs to be
clear on how and where to submit the service hours and told on a regular
basis. You will want to streamline as much as you can, because most people
will not want to put a lot of effort into submitting hours. My company
volunteer group  would have people that would lead volunteer activities and
provided a form for them to fill out to tell us about the event and a
summary after the event to help collect service hours and it was rarely
submitted. Lastly keep in mind there are all sort of volunteer activities
and many will have different definitions. The same for the term of community
service.  Rhwew ew doeml oefnizations like Habitat for Humanity, Americorp,
etx. Colunteering at church, county event like soup kitches. Volunteering at
my son's T-ball games, or my daughter girl scouts, etc. community service
that my company may do, or being volved in a formal HOA to help the
community look good and stay safe. Depending od definitions some could say
volunteering on NFB chapter and division boards is volunteerism. Oh, would
this reward program be for registered division members or open to the public
or the the NFB as a whole?

Some food for thought. Good luck and welcome to the community service board.

--

Graham Mehl

 <mailto:blind at trailstone.com> blind at trailstone.com

NFB Central Maryland Chapter, Vice President

LCB graduate, 2016

 <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>