[Community-service] How to Get Involved in Eight Simple Steps | National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division

Darian Smith president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Wed May 18 13:04:42 UTC 2016

> http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/eight_simple_steps <http://www.nfbcommunityservice.org/eight_simple_steps>
>
> Introduction:
>
> Do you ever feel discouraged because your sighted counterparts are doubting your capabilities at the service site? The Community Service Division of the National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness does not prevent you from doing community service. You can be an active and valuable part of your community, and can perform community service just like anyone else. The following eight tips are sure to help you cope with doubt from others and yourself when doing community service, whether this is your first time serving or you have been serving for years.
>
> Helpful Tips for Dealing with Doubt at the Service Site:
>
> 1. Be confident:
>
> It is okay to not know how to do everything when first starting to volunteer. The most important thing about going to a service site for the first time is not having all the answers, but having the confidence in yourself and your capabilities to look for those answers so that you can participate equally in the community. As you work through any challenges and anything that may discourage you, keep your head held high, believe in yourself, and show those around you that you are sure of yourself and your blindness.
>
> 2. Staying oriented:
>
> Some people prefer to go to the service site beforehand and orient themselves to the layout of the place before service actually begins. Others prefer to orient themselves during the activity, learning the setup of the site as they go. Others use a mixture of these two methods. Whichever you choose will come to you in time as you learn from your service experiences about what works best for you and what does not. You will find that orientation is very important when serving because mobility allows you to move freely throughout the area so that you can offer help as needed or oversee the project.
>
> 3. Raise your voice; be heard
>
> Many blind people have said that, when they go to a service site, sighted peers feel compelled to push them off to the side, but blind people are just as capable to perform community service as their sighted counterparts. If you are finding that people at the service site are treating you this way, do not be afraid to tell them about your capabilities, as well as your eagerness to serve. Remember, self-advocacy is just as important in community service as it is in other parts of our lives as blind people.
>
> 4. Show 'em what you got:

> [...]

Darian Smith
President, National Federation  of the Blind Community Service Division

Web: www.nfbcommunityservice.org

Twitter: @NFBCSDivision, at goldengateace

Facebook: search for “National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division"

E-mail: president at nfbcommunityservice.org <mailto:president at nfbcommunityservice.org>

(415)215-9809

blindness is not what holds you back.
 “We need your service, right now, at this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history” — Barack Obama
 Help drive change for the blind .
Donate your car to the National Federation of the Blind today!
For more information, please visit: www.carshelpingtheblind.org <http://www.carshelpingtheblind.org/> or call 1-855-659-9314
“