[Community-service] Trivia night planning advisory call

President, National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division president at nfbcommunityservice.org
Tue Apr 4 21:06:07 UTC 2017

Hi Janae, and everyone,
 The basic premise of trivia night is that people come (bring themselves or bring a team, doesn’t matter) and sit   at one of  the banquet-style tables in the room.  If a person is by themselves, we help them get acquainted with some new friends at a table needing more people. Typically teams are made of eight, .
  people, and questions are asked from multiple  categories (we are thinking of three categories this year).
 each team gets a certain amount of time ( we are thinking two minutes per question) to answer each question. Answers are written in braille and once a round ends, you give your paper to the judges  and receive a new sheet of paper  on which to write the answers for the next round.
  on the matter of getting your answers down on paper,
  we don’t care  how you get the braille on the page, so long as it is legible braille with the answers in list form so the judges can more easily read them.

We ask folks to bring their own slate and stylus, but we won’t stop  you if you decide you really want to bring a braille writer     if you really wanted too.
  between rounds we are going to read off the answers, and the judges will tally  while the game moves along. we will give score updates periodically during natural stoppages.
 The team with the most points (correctly answered questions) after all three rounds will win the game.
 In the past we would offer a cash prize, but due to the low turn out, the payout wasn’t as great for the winning team.  We are looking into ways  to drive  traffic to the event, and may consider looking into alternate forms of prizes  or rewards to  give the winning team.
 This year we are between  returning to the music format  we did  last year or going to a more general  trivia set (music, pop culture, current events (etc).
 Thoughts?,       .