[Community-service] Discussion starter

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 24 18:36:07 UTC 2017

Darian,

I agree. When I think of doing community service, I think of helping the
community, something that benefits society; of course volunteering one on
one benefits the individual directly, but because we improve his/her well
being, we improve society.

I volunteer now for a senior center once a month where I put on music
appreciation presentations.
If I help just within the blind sphere or in NFB, its important, and its
volunteering, but somehow I don't see that as community service.
There is so much else to me than legal blindness.
I don't put affiliation or volunteer service for NFB or anything blindness
related on my resume or cover letters. I do, however, put my other service
work down. I want people to see me as a person who can benefit society, not
someone just receiving charity or handouts. I want to show case my skills
and talents not my eye condition. So, blindness stuff is not put on resumes,
applications whether for school, employment or other volunteer service.

You are so right in saying that society believes the only good we can
perform is within our own sphere, helping others who are blind. I hear that
all the time from my family.
I  do not agree and feel I can compete and do work within the larger
community who is not disabled.

Ashley