[Community-service] Discussion starter

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 04:43:48 UTC 2017

I can understand her reasoning for not putting community service within the blindness community on her resume or other pertinent documents. We already struggle to find employment due to our visual impairment. We don't want employers to automatically assume that we have a disability, thereby rejecting us before we even arrive for the interview. I think it's a matter of when we each choose to disclose our disability, if we even choose to do so. I have found that delaying disclosure until I have met with someone, whether for employment or volunteer service, has served me more effectively than disclosing my disability prior to a meeting.
I certainly do not deny my blindness or my ability to serve with in the visually impaired community, but I also don't want it to be the focus. If included on a resume or cover letter, this could be an unintended consequence.

Sent from my iPhone