[Community-service] The External Outreach Committee

Kyra Sweeney kyra.sweeney94 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 02:28:04 UTC 2017

Hello all,
  Are you still looking for a committee of the Community Service
Division to join? Consider joining the External Outreach Committee!
This committee's main goal is to reach out to service organizations,
universities, and blindness agencies, in order to share our vision of
blind people giving back to our communities alongside our sighted
peers. We will aim to raise expectations about the capability of the
blind to serve, and spread awareness about the National Federation of
the Blind. We will decide on this year's projects at our first
meeting, but Here are some examples of what  we could be working on:

1. Identifying major national service organizations, connecting blind
people with these organizations,  and contacting their leaders to
discuss the equal participation of the blind.

2. Outreach to Disability Services offices and Community Engagement
centers at universities around the country, to encourage blind
students to volunteer on campus and to become involved with the NFB.

3. Contacting blindness agencies and helping them find volunteer
opportunities and service projects.

If you are creative, enjoy a challenge, and like telling people about
the NFB's positive philosophy on blindness,  External Outreach is the
committee for you. If you would like to get involved, please contact
me off-list at kyra.sweeney94 at gmail.com. Thanks and I hope to hear
from you!
Best,
Kyra Sweeney
External Outreach Committee Chair, National Federation of the Blind
Community Service Division