[Community-service] Discussion Starter: Discrimination when applying to be a volunteer

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Fri Feb 10 13:56:17 UTC 2017

Hello all,
I wanted to start a discussion on discrimination when applying for  a
volunteer placement. Please  see below a hypothetical situation and I
would like to hear what your thoughts are and how you would proceed.

Imagine you are applying to become a volunteer at an organization that
helps children that have been abused physically, sexually,  and
emotionally. You meet with the Volunteer Coordinator and she mentions
to you that she is afraid for your safety as a blind person because
the children often get into fights and there is always the risk of a
fire. The Volunteer Coordinator mentions that she would love to have
you volunteer there, but she would only be able to give you a desk job
away from the children. You speak with your Vocational Rehabilitation
Counselor and she mentions that there is a loophole in the Americans
With Disabilities Act that allows this type of discrimination because
since you are a volunteer, you are not liable with the organization.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Warm regards,

Jonathan Franks BSW
Treasurer
National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people  and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.