[Community-service] 2018 National Service Project Reflections

Johna Wright johnawright98 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 01:33:34 UTC 2018

Hello, everyone!

I would like to share the reflections we received from two of the
participants in the 2018 National Service Project at the Central Florida
Coalition for the Homeless in Orlando. The first is from Tekesha S.:

Greetings to the community service division! The community service project
for the national convention was a success. I really enjoyed helping in the
community with my ability to serve. I was able to work as a greeter with
someone from another state. I felt the appreciation from the families and
individuals we served. My participation gave me the idea to chair a
community service committee for the Florida affiliate. I look forward to
working with the community service division so we can be visible in our
community. I thank the division for uplifting my spirit to be involved with
community service.

Thanks,

Tekesha Safold

The second reflection comes from Kelly J.:

Ask and it will be given you; seek an you will find. Knock, and it will be
opened for you. I asked for friends who are wise, intelegent, creative,
talented, loving and of course fun to be placed into my life. They were
given to me and I found them when I attended the meeting for community
service at the 2018 national convention. I also asked “what more can I do
to help someone else” and I believe that the sharing of ideas amongst the
group was a fundamental avenue to bring about those prospects. I know that
so many doors for the opportunities to serve, teach and inspire others are
going to be opened as well.

Furthermore, I was inspired to join the Community Service Division of the
NFB After meeting so many inspirational and motivated individuals in the
group. The efforts and purpose of the division to serve those who are less
fortunate and bring joy into the lives of the hopeless is a fundamental
gift that I have always held near to my heart. The ability to give hope,
happiness or dignity to someone is the ultimate satisfaction that I gain by
giving back to others. With the support and aspirations of this committee,
I am looking forward to all that we can accomplish individually and
corporately in our communities.

Thank you to those who have written reflections already, and thank you to
everyone who attended this project and made it happen. I look forward to
hearing about all the other projects you all will complete this year as
well!
*Johna Wright*
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind Community Service Division
Social Media Chair, National Association of Blind Students