[Community-service] SWYD! Amazing Article!

Jeanetta price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 07:22:51 UTC 2018

Jonita Gates, CSD Board Member, shares her service story below:

On the 31st of October,  I wrote the following piece  to distribute to the people of my old neighborhood. I walked door-to-door, about 20 houses, talked to people on the street and delivered 25 plus of these. Then I texted it to 50-plus relatives and friends. I also posted on my Facebook page. I will continue this sporadically as the year goes on. Here is what I wrote:
"Thank you for reading! October is declared the month for World Blindness Awareness Month, National Federation of the Blind 'Meet the Blind' Month, and Children's Vision Month. It is observed once a year at this time. I believe it is imperative that the importance of Eye Care, preventive methods, blindness issues, and the knowledge of blindness be considered, taught, and shared more than once a year. Younger Generations should be enlightened on causes and preventive measures regularly. Take time to read, investigate and/or talk to a blind person, organization or agency. Then talk to others and especially the young in your family and neighborhood. Let's decrease the 80% of preventable blindness." I meet one man whose sister's vision is failing; one woman with glaucoma; one woman with macular degeneration and during our conversation I spoke of the NFB. In addition, on October 15th, I decided since I don't generally carry my white cane, (but I own two that I have purchased), I would walk all day long with my cane in support of “White Cane Safety Day.”