[Community-service] Help the red fox - animal control

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon Apr 29 18:05:36 UTC 2019

Hello Georgia and everyone,

                It helps to have a cane on you to push the fox away if it gets too close. Making lots of noise when you go outside to let the fox, bear, or any other wild animal that enters your yard know that its presence isn't welcome usually scares most creatures away. Do this repeatedly until the animal in question gets the message that it's a good idea to stay away from human settlements. It's unfare to injure or kill any wild animal that has not caused harm to humans just because a blind person or their family is scared of the individual not being aware of the animal's presence.

                This happened when I was a child in Middleboro Massachusetts. One day a large snapping turtle came in to our back yard. My uncle killed it because everyone was worried about it causing harm to me because I was blind. It would have been a more humane thing to simply leave the turtle alone and let it wonder off in the hopes it would not return. Many creatures with whom we share our planet already have too many threats to their existance to deal with. Their distruction over ffears of what they may do to a blind individual who is unaware of their presence doesn't need to be one of them.

Peter Donahue