[Community-Service] Challenge Accepted! Thank you for your service!

Jeanetta Price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:37:50 UTC 2020

WE DO IT BIGGER AND BETTER Challenge Accepted!📣

Texas Style Service! Conswella Bates is from Beaumont, Texas, member of the
NFB Golden Triangle Chapter, and a humble volunteer who is changing her
community one service at a time. She embraces challenges with a solution
mindset that created opportunities for growth as an advocate in addition to
giving back to others.

Conswella’s reflection

I volunteer in my community by way of testing new audio software at Lamar
University. I am a blind alumni of the university and I continue to serve
on campus for the advancement of students’ today. In my educational
journey, I faced road blocks due to the lack of knowledge of blindness and
low-expectations as well as limited campus resources for the blind. I often
felt defeated but I did not quit. I turned my negative experience to an
opportunity to educate the university of the importance of accessible
software so that blind students can receive the same quality of education
as our peers. Anytime I can provide my blind skills to help our blind
community to succeed by assuring that the software is running properly,
count me in! It is such a rewarding feeling to know that other blind
students won’t experience the same obstacles I faced as an undergraduate.
Today, Lamar University has provided more accessible computers on campus in
addition to an increase of admission of students with disabilities. Go
Cardinals! The university that embraces diversity.

--
Jeanetta Price, BSW, M. Ed.
Independent Home Screening Assessor
Email: price.jeanetta at gmail.com