[Community-Service] Serving is her hobby! Challenge Accepted!

Jeanetta price price.jeanetta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:08:53 UTC 2020

Miranda’s  Reflection

I volunteer with the American Red Cross Service to Armed Forces division as a virtual caseworker for a minimum of 10 hours per month and have done so since March 2020. More often than not, my hours exceed the minimum amount required by the position. In this role, I provide follow up services to the military community regarding emergency communication messages related to births, illness, injuries, or deaths within the service member’s immediate family. I am expected to log case notes within the online database system for my assigned cases, and I have found this process to be very accessible with my assistive technology. My work is conducted via telephone and email communication. I have been provided with a Red Cross email address to protect my personal information. While I initially attempted to utilize Google Voice for the same reason, I have found it more efficient to simply utilize my own personal telephone number. This privileged information has not been compromised by anyone with whom I have interacted. This has been a rewarding experience, and I look forward to growing in the position in the months and years ahead.

Area Representative with Youth for Understanding
March 2015 – Present

Training and Support Reflection

While I do not recall the number of training hours I initially received as it has been five years, I feel it was thorough in preparing me for the position responsibilities. Moreover, relevant training and support is always available via regional and national leadership. While I have not found the third-party system with which I am to renew my Department of State certification to be accessible with my assistive technology, organizational leadership has been more than willing to aid me in this process where needed. Moreover, Aira would be an alternative resource for completing this ongoing training requirement as well. Local support is also available in the form of fellow volunteers and host families who are willing to accommodate my needs in ensuring I meet with students and families at an accessible location. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Department of State needed to make some difficult decisions regarding their cultural exchange programs. Youth for Understanding has been forthcoming with information as it becomes available, and we have all needed to be flexible and gracious in our communication efforts.