[Community-Service] Blindness: Is Literature Against Us?

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Thu May 21 14:23:53 UTC 2020

Hello Darian,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have thought of this
topic on numerous occasions. We as humans fear what we do not
understand and this has been a constant in the realm of blindness
continuously across generations. With sight being our primary sense
utilized to view the world, it can be perceived as a tragedy if one
were to lose their sight for one reason or another. As stated in
Jernigan’s speech and I know that President Riccobono has touched on
this as well in a banquet speech, perceptions set forth that blindness
is a tragedy or punishment almost as horrendous as death. One of the
main troublesome viewpoints on this notion is for many, the perception
stops there. Some individuals do not delve deeper into the capacity of
the person who is blind. They do not make themselves aware of the
various types of training blind people undergo to be able to integrate
into college, the workforce or daily life. This leads to assumptions
and perceptions passed down throughout generational teachings that are
antiquated. I am in no way mocking religion, yet some religions
perceive blindness as punishment, that these individuals are in needs
of charity and that it is similar to a death sentence. However, most
religious texts were written thousands of years ago and in modern
society, blind people have a vast range of tools available to utilize
to transcend beyond antiquated perceptions. Therefore, it is important
to teach our current and future generations a more modernized approach
regarding blindness. Whether it is through religious teachings,
literature and overall general attitudes. This also applies to
community service and how we as blind people serve and the purpose of
this division is to convey to society that we can provide community
service and not be perceived as only needing charity. Although we may
not be able to change the perceptions of 7 billion people, if we
change one person’s perception on blindness, then another and then
another, the impact of altered positive perceptions can grow to be
plentiful. My personal belief is that actions speak louder than words.
It is so important for us to become more integrated in today’s society
demonstrating our capabilities to live on an equal playing field
through the skills we have learned through training centers and other
factors. Some may argue that we as blind people should not have to be
ambassadors for our community or that they should not have to teach a
sighted person how to treat a blind person. Although, I can see the
valid nature of this stance, I also see how it is troublesome. Many of
our sighted counterparts have what I call innocent ignorance. They may
have never met a blind individual before and are trying the best way
that they can without proper knowledge of how to interact with a blind
person as an equal. This is why I am a strong believer in education,
advocacy and awareness in regards to integration. Some may agree with
my stance and some may disagree. I just wanted to provide my two
cents.

Warm regards,

Jonathan Franks MSW

On 5/19/20, Darian Smith via Community-Service
<community-service at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> I wanted to share with you a speech that  discusses literature  and how we
> as blind people have been perceived in it.
>  Do you agree or disagree with the points of view  offered?
> How do you  think that literature impacts how we as blind people are
> viewed?
> How  does that view impact you when you want to give back?
>

>> https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banque74.htm
>> <https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/convent/banque74.htm>
>
>  Thanks,
>   Darian

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people  and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.