[Community-Service] Meet a Willing Worker: Gloria Nathan-Cherry - Blindness Achievement Month @ CSD! Day 06

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 13:53:03 UTC 2021

Do the hump on Day Six as we shine the buttery light on the Popcorn Lady,
Gloria Nathan-Cherry from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania!

[image: 11. CSD Willing Worker Gloria Picture.jpg]

*Photo of Gloria Nathan-Cherry*
Hey! My name is Gloria! I am not disabled; I am differently enabled. I am
living my best life without sight.

I am a hard-working mom of one son. His name is Justin and he is 25 years
old. I am married to the love of my life, Larry Cherry. I enjoy cooking,
traveling, and going on cruises.  Being on a boat is my favorite mode of
travel. I have been to the Bahamas, Cozumel, Grand Cayman Islands, Belize,
and Honduras. I even went to Disney's Private Island. It is like being on
Gilligan’s Island. I enjoy reading and trivia games. One of my favorite
trivia games is Jeopardy.

I was born in Linden, Alabama. I moved to Philadelphia in 1973 and then
moved to Chesapeake, Virginia before moving back to the wonderful City of
Brotherly Love (Philadelphia)  in 2004. I graduated from the University of
Pittsburgh with a Bachelor's of Arts in English writing.

The atmosphere of the Willing Workers and the ability to network is how I
became a member of the Community Service Division. There is so much
camaraderie of those who are supportive, caring, and loving. I am new to
learning about blindness and what is available, and being involved with the
Willing Workers can help me expand my knowledge base. It has also helped me
realize that despite my vision loss, I can still be helpful to others:
whether to motivate, skills training, be a listening ear, and especially to
those who are new.

I am a former Girl Scout, very active in my church, and I help Children
with autism. I encourage the parents and help them to understand how to
assist their children. I love to Get people to see that even though I might
have challenges I can do whatever my heart wishes to do. I might not be
able to drive a car but I can do just about anything else.

Join our division’s family of brotherly love and sisterly affection, power,
and respect!