[Community-Service] Meet Two Community Achievers: Frank Russo & Alexis Jacobs - Blind Equality Achievement Month! Day 19

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:07:16 UTC 2021

Welcome to Blind Equality Achievement Month!

Our 19th Community Achievers are from the areas of the world’s smallest
park. and they’ve got the power to move mountains! Meet Frank Russo &
Alexis Jacobs from Portland, Oregon!

My state ID shows that my name is Frank, but most call me the Big Guy on
Campus! Everyone does a double take when they meet me in person. That’s
because my deep, booming voice doesn’t quite match the vertical size of
their mental image of me. Despite only being five foot tall, I handle my
own, and let the kids I work with know that I’m there to challenge their
minds and not there to get caught up in what we don’t have. I’ve been
volunteering for our local urban recreational center for about four years
now and these kids, are my kids! I hope and pray every day that when they
see a totally blind man doing what he needs to do to live his best life, it
shows them, you can achieve everything that you want and more. I tell my
kids all the time. Don’t let these streets define you, build a character of
knowledge, strength and peace. Then, top it off with your own aspirations.

“Changing the streets with the Biggest Heart on Campus!”

And…

I’m Alexis and I’ve been blind since birth. I also have Cerebral Palsy too,
which can make it challenging getting around sometimes. But I don’t let
that ever get me down. I have a heart for people and love being able to
help wherever I can. About three years ago, I wanted to find a way to give
back to my town since so many people have poured so much into me. My love
of books and reading to my nieces and nephews, gave me the idea to be a
reader at our local library. For the last three years, I’ve been reading
Braille books to anyone that’s willing to listen. I wanted to be a blessing
to these kids and seeing them every week, is an even bigger blessing to me!

“A gentle spirit, going Beyond The Six Dots!”