[Community-Service] A Sound Recognition Feature

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 00:10:42 UTC 2022

A special iPhone setting that was recently mentioned in the last issue of
the Blind Perspective magazine.

"Have you tried Sound Recognition in the iOS 15 update?  It’s in settings,
accessibility, and you will find Sound Recognition. Just past Hearing. It’s
mainly for someone that is hard of hearing.
It has several options to check such as fire, smoke, dog barking, water
running, knock on the door, doorbell, and even baby crying.

When you turn on sound recognition and whatever you check in the options,
when your phone hears one of those sounds, it plays a pre-selected sound.
I have a siren selected for the smoke detector. I did have water running
selected, but every time I ran water, it sounded an alert! It not only
plays the alert through your hearing aids but it will play them over the
phone if you don’t have hearing aids in.
Note: if you enable the Sound Recognition Feature, then the “Hey Siri”
feature will be disabled."

Maggie Stringer
Phone: (443) 750-0070
Email: ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Community Service Facebook Page
<https://www.facebook.com/CommunityServiceDivision/>
NFB Website <http://www.nfb.org>
NFB Ohio Website <http://www.nfbohio.org>
“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra."