[Community-Service] I LOVE Community Service

cmkries at comcast.net cmkries at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 17:14:32 UTC 2022

Hello everyone!  My name is Carol King-Ries, and I LOVE community service.
I grew up in the projects of Chicago, huge federally funded buildings that
have now been torn down because they were no longer "good for the
community".  However, for me, this is where my love of serving the community
began.  There was no one on the eleventh floor of 2822 South Calumet that
went hungry, did not have carfare, or their medications.  Our parents made
sure that everyone had what they needed, and this took place all over the
building.  Our parents sold dinners and held parties to rent buses to take
us on trips and run the baseball and softball teams.  This planted the seed
of serving others with love so deeply in me, that all it needed was water to
grow and blossom.  I found that water when I became a Christian.  Being a
Christian instilled in me a greater love, and a fearlessness concerning
serving people. When I began to lose my sight, I thought that my ability to
serve others was gone.  But I was reminded through God's word that I can do
all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13), and in my heart I
knew that God would not let me use this challenge as an excuse to sit down.
So, I got up and ran on.  I have served as a Children's Church teacher, and
Youth ministry leader at my church.  I have been a volunteer math and
reading tutor for many organizations.  I have been a leader in a mentoring
program for a challenged High School in Delaware and have mentored High
School and College students. I also volunteer extensively with the NFB of
Delaware and Toastmasters International.  Like I said, I LOVE community
service.  When leadership is needed in a community project I step up (L); I
serve whoever needs service with an open heart and mind (O);  I volunteer
with no expectations of what I will get (V); and I do it with enthusiasm
(E).  I have also been married for 32 years to my love, my best friend and
my partner in service, Bryant Ries; and we have two adult children who we
hope will continue our legacy of serving others with love.

The picture of me below shows that I have milk chocolate brown skin,
naturally curly hair, looking over my right shoulder at you with a big smile
and dimple, challenging you to "come on!"