[Community-Service] CSD Bio

veronicalalston at gmail.com veronicalalston at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 23:10:51 UTC 2022

BIO

Hello CSD Family!!!

I bring you greetings from Connecticut known as the nutmeg state.

This is Veronica Alston. I'm a daughter, sister, wife, auntie and trusting
friend.  I can truly say that I have been the epitome of resilience since
the day I came into this world four months prematurely. After leaving the
hospital for the first time at five months old with usable vision, the
doctors told my parents I would be totally blind by four years of age.

Well, somebody should have placed a bet with those doctors because God had
other plans. I was able to receive my primary and secondary education in the
New Haven Public School System with very little sight. It was during my
sophomore year of college when Glaucoma decided to pay me a visit causing me
to then become totally blind.

I use life's challenges and experiences as the tools for helping me to do my
community service with pride, patience, perseverance, passion and
commitment.  I'm the secretary of the NFB Southern Chapter of Connecticut
and affiliate board member as well as a willing worker for CSD.

I'm a volunteer for the New Lifestyles Transitional Housing for Women and
the Assistant Platform manager for the New Lifestyles Empowerment Virtual
Lounge.

I am also part of the committee of the Center for Women and Mothers through
the Yale School of Medicine.

In August of 2021, I started a not for profit called Opportunity for Growth
supporting teen moms and their babies.

This is only the beginning of what's to come. I thank you CSD Family for
inspiring and encouraging me to continue to walk by faith not by sight.
Smooches