[Ctabs] One Dream Railroad

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Jun 20 04:36:32 UTC 2014

One Dream Railroad

Fellow Federationists:
Not all blind people are students, and, hopefully, all blind students have a goal of one day becoming blind non-students. If this is true, we have an incentive for the railroad we build as students to benefit non-students, too.
Two groups, one a subset of the other, can build two separate railroads or all work together to build one mighty railroad. In the NFB, we are building a railroad of all of our dreams put together so we can live the lives we want. I want NABS to help build one dream railroad with the entire National Federation of the Blind.
As a national division, there is no replacement for a strong relationship with national leadership. Serving as a summer intern at the Jernigan Institute continues to strengthen my trust in and ability to work with our national leadership core, and I encourage everyone to apply for this internship. When trust in our national leadership is strong, the potential for collective achievement is high. When we work together, great things happen.
If I become NABS President, I will never forget that NABS exists to be an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind. In my years with the Science and Engineering Division, every division activity has been in the name of building the Federation. I have been blessed to serve as First Vice President of two state affiliates: the NFB of Connecticut and later the NFB of Wisconsin. In Wisconsin, I have recognized the power of the mentality that the NFB President is the primary leader of the affiliate. If I am blessed to serve as NABS President, I will be the primary student leader of NABS, and the President of the National Federation of the Blind will be the primary overall leader of NABS. I am eager to work with Mark Riccobono, assuming he is elected, to build the National Federation of the Blind.
I am eager to do the work of the Federation every day, and it is because of this eagerness that I have decided to attend Louisiana Tech University in the fall to become a cane travel instructor. I want to help other blind people get their lives back the same way that LCB did it for me. Every bit of love and hard work that I put into the Federation comes back to me exponentially. That's the power of our engine, and I will fuel it however our members desire. My primary choice is by serving as NABS President. Now, the question awaits: Will we build this railroad together?
Please vote Justin Salisbury for NABS President.

Yours,

Justin Salisbury
Board Member
National Association of Blind Students
President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>