[Ctabs] At-large meeting minutes

Kathryn Webster kathrynwebster.nfb at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 00:53:31 UTC 2016

Good evening all,

                Below, as well as attached, you will find the minutes for
the at-large chapter meeting that took place this evening. Please join me in
reading, and feel free to reach out with any questions!

Connecticut At-Large Chapter

July Meeting Minutes

July 20, 2016

Meeting called to order at 8:03 pm

Attendance: Justin, Jim, Kate, Adam, Jim, Chrissie, Janet, Sandra, Judy

National Federation of the Blind pledge, recited by Chrissie

Legislative Update, Jim McCollum

1.       We are preparing a letter, at the national level, that will be sent
to the Department of Justice. In this letter will discuss inaccessibility
with state and local websites, and explanation of the Title II section of
the ADA. The NFB is gathering member comments regarding the importance of
accessible websites in response to the US Department of Justice's
consideration of adopting specific technical standards for website
accessibility under Title II of the ADA. We need your stories, both positive
and negative, regarding the importance of accessible state and local
government websites. Submit them before July 31, 2016, via

https://nfb.org/titleiisanprm.

2.       The Department of Defense is discussing an amendment to the Defense
Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS). This is in regard to the
Randolph-Sheppard Act. If this passes, we could have negative outcomes for
our great Randolph vendors. Please fill out the below survey by Monday,
August 8. Losing defense contracts could definitely harm us. The NFB is
gathering member comments. If enacted, the current proposed rule would
result in opportunities being taken away from blind persons and will
virtually ensure there are no new opportunities in the future within the
Randolph-Sheppard Program. We need feedback from those who are familiar with
the Randolph-Sheppard Program and appreciate the opportunities it affords to
blind people to be self-employed entrepreneurs. Please submit your comments
before August 8, 2016, via

https://nfb.constituentvoice.net/nfbreg/.

3.       Legislation concerning the funding for NLS to begin distributing
Braille displays, as well as digital audio players for individuals to read
Braille downloads. This is in the very very early stages, so stay tuned.

We are working to bring kNFB Reader to the Windows operating system. Stay
tuned!

If you have an android device, kNFB Reader is now in the Google Play store!
Be sure to purchase one soon.

National Convention Reflection, Justin Salisbury

What is National convention: A time for us to set the programs and policies
of the Federation, a huge family reunion for us to join together, share,
interact, learn, and grow!

Seminar Day: Several activities and conferences going on throughout the day,
including: Job Seminar, Rehabilitation Conference, NFB Healthy Fair, kNFB
Reader meet-up, etc.

The power of all people in one place is refreshing, energizing, and
long-lasting.

National Convention is a time of networking and development both personally
and professionally.

We hope to increase the number of Connecticut affiliate members in
attendance next year!

It will be in Orlando, Florida for 2017 and 2018.

Future guest speaker discussion

Maybe another at-large chapter president to share with us.

State Convention

Held in Shelton, CT at the Hilton Garden Inn from November 4-6, 2016.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50pm

Respectfully submitted,

Kate Webster