[Ctabs] One of our keynote speakers at convention

Edward Shaham personal.edward at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:03:41 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I have exciting news! Since Dan Parker couldn't make our convention this
year, we set out to find someone just as interesting, and I think we have.
Serena Olsen, legally blind since adolescence, has traveled the world for
fun, adventure, work, and service.  Since a summer job in Germany at age 23,
her travels have taken her throughout Europe and East & Southeast Asia. On a
mission to discover the world, she discovered her blindness, and came to
understand it as merely a characteristic, guided by our Federation's spirit
of discovery and adventure.  Most recently she served in the Peace Corps in
the Kyrgyz Republic, teaching and training blind people in alternative
techniques of blindness and in self-advocacy.  She currently works as
Evening & Weekend Program Coordinator at the Lighthouse for the Blind in San
Francisco, California-Itself a diverse city welcoming people from throughout
the world-serving blind adults so that they can live the lives they want.

Serena has spoken at our national convention, and we are extremely fortunate
to have her travel from California to speak to us on November 6th during
convention. As you know, this year's convention was completely updated and
refreshed with new and innovative presenters. If you haven't attended our
state convention before, or you haven't attended in a while, what are you
waiting for! Register today!

Edward