[Ctabs] 2021 National Federation of the Blind of CT Braille Readers are Leaders Contest

llee at nfbct.org llee at nfbct.org
Thu Mar 4 21:32:41 UTC 2021

Please feel free to pass this information along to anyone who might be
interested.

March 4, 2021

Dear Braille Readers,

          During this year's summer vacation, the National Federation of the
Blind of Connecticut is once again honoring Betty Woodward with our "Braille
Readers are Leaders" Contest. We hope you will participate.

          Reading books can open up a world of adventure and discovery for
you.  If you wish, we are sure your parents, Braille teacher and/or
librarian will help you select books and keep track of the number of pages
read.

          The enclosed application explains the rules and regulations. If
you wish to participate, begin keeping track of the number of Braille pages
that you read beginning July 1st.  The contest ends on September 1st.

          Have a wonderful summer, and we look forward to receiving your
application by September 15th.

Sincerely,

Beth Rival,

Braille Readers are Leaders Contest Chairperson

111 Sheldon Road, Unit 420, Manchester, CT 06045

Tel: 860.289.1971     www.nfbct.org     Maryanne Melley, President

Student's Name_______________________________________Age______Grade_______

Address________________________________City____________State______Zip_______

Parent's Name___________________Home Phone _____________Work Phone_________

E-Mail Address_____________________________________________

Certifying Authority:
Name____________________________________________________

Position:      Parent [  ]              Teacher [   ]           Librarian [
]

Address_________________________________City____________State____Zip________

Home Phone_____________________Work Phone________________________________

E-Mail Address___________________________________________

Category:  (Check One)

[   ]  Elementary School                      [   ]  Middle School
[   ]  High School

BOOK/MAGAZINE LIST

Book Title/Magazine Article                Author/Volume/Date
Braille Pages Read

To the best of my knowledge, this student did read _________number of
Braille pages between July 1 and September 1.

________________

Signature of Certifying Authority
Date

Mail entries to, or for more information:

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest

National Federation of the Blind of CT

111 Sheldon Road, Unit 420, Manchester, CT 06045

Tel: (860) 289-1971

PURPOSE OF CONTEST

The National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut is once again offering
our Annual Braille Readers are Leaders Contest to honor our beloved Betty
Woodward. Our goal is to encourage blind children to read more Braille. It
is just as important for blind children to be literate as it is for sighted
children. Good readers can have confidence in themselves and their abilities
to learn and to adapt to new situations through their lives. Braille is a
valuable alternative to print for the blind child. Yet, many blind children
are graduating from our schools with poor Braille skills and low
expectations for themselves as Braille readers. They do not know that
Braille readers can be competitive with print readers. The NFB of CT's
Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest helps blind children realize that
reading Braille is fun and rewarding. They discover that "Braille Readers
Are Leaders".

WHO CAN ENTER THE CONTEST

School age children from kindergarten through the twelfth grade are eligible
to enter.  A student will compete within his/her grade level category. The
categories are:  Elementary, Middle and High School age.

PRIZES FOR THE CONTEST

There will be one winner in each of 3 categories: high school, middle school
& elementary school. The $250 prizes will be awarded at the annual National
Federation of the Blind of Connecticut banquet of our state convention this
fall.

RULES FOR THE CONTEST

Winners will be chosen based on the number of Braille pages read. The
contest entry form MUST be COMPLETELY filled out and received by the judges
no later than September 15th. With their entry forms, contestants MUST
submit a list of books and magazines they have read. Please use an extra
page, if necessary.

CERTIFYING AUTHORITY

The Certifying Authority is responsible for:

*	verifying that the student has actually read the Braille material
that he or she reports reading and that the material was read between July 1
and September 1 (contestant may NOT count material read before the contest
begins);
*	completing and sending in the contest entry form in an accurate,
complete and timely fashion.

Teachers, librarians and parents may serve as Certifying Authorities. The
Certifying Authority must also be prepared to cooperate with the judges if
the judges have any questions or need additional information about an entry.

All decisions of the judges are final.

Sponsored by the National Federation of the Blind of Connecticut