[Diabetes-talk] A question

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Dec 6 07:40:30 UTC 2008

Dar:

First, the Federal Government does not fall under the rhubric of the ADA; IT IS SUBJECT TO Section 504 of the Rehab Act. So while any ADA REQUIREMENTS MANDATED BY THE COURTS OR THE Department of Justice might serve as a model and a precedent for a suit under Section 504 (which, I presume, is the case here), it does not mean that such a suit will ipso facto succeed. The ADA IS INTERPRETED BY THE Department of Justice to require that doctors (and thetheir offices) make information available to people with disabilities but this does not mean that the material is mandated to be provided in alternative formats such as in braille, computer disk or tape; the information could be read to the blind patient and this would fulfill the requirement. But the Federal Government is under stricter requirements than is private industry and probably does have to produce stuff in alternative formats.

Nonetheless, I'm going to venture an opinion here which will probably be rather unpopular: isn't a suit alleging that recipients of SSI AND SSDI WHO ARE BLIND MISSED IMPORTANT NOTICES BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GET THEM IN BRAILLE OR LARGE PRINT OR ON TAPE SAYING, IN EFFECT, THAT WE, THE BLIND CAN'T HANDLE PRINTED MATERIAL AND THEREFORE SHOULDN'T BE EXPECTED TO DO SO? Does this line of thinking not contradict NFBs insistence that we can compete on terms of equality with the sighted (which, to my mind, necessarily implies that we can and should deal with printed material on our own)? This was the very reason we objected to the currency suit in that it alleged we were being discriminated against because we couldn't see the print!

Balderdash and squashrot!

Mike Freeman