[Diabetes-talk] I'm a silent Diabetic

K C kcc86 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 3 15:12:17 UTC 2008

Hello, everyone.  My name is Kijuana.
On Thursday the 30th of October I was diagnosed with Diabetes after
Uterine surgery on the 23rd of October.  I had no idea I had it.

I'm so scared!  I have never had to stick myself to test my blood sugar or
anything else.  I know a little about it because I have had personal friends
who have
suffered major complications from this disease, and some of them have died.
Logically I know it is something people live with, and control everyday.  I
also understand that it is a very common illness.  It's just that it has
never been a part of my daily life.

I don't know how to act, or react now.  Because I have no symptoms I don't
know how to eat differently or anything else.  Over the past few days I have
continued to do like I always have, but the numbers on the blood tests say
different.  Its silence scares me more than if I had some weird symptoms,
went to my Doctor, and was diagnosed then.

How do you deal
with the days, weeks, and months after diagnoses emotionally?  They'll be a
lot of education I'll get in the coming weeks on diet, life style changes,
etc.  But what I really need right now is those who're living with this
disease to share their experiences with me so I can put my feet on some kind
of ground.  Thank you for reading all this.  I feel totally disoriented.  My
state services for the blind leave a lot to be desired, so my councilor
doesn't even know where to begin as far as purchasing a meter, testing
supplies, etc.  Any help will really be appreciated.
Kijuana