[Diabetes-talk] insulin pumps

David Anspach danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 7 00:50:57 UTC 2009

Hello Kelly,
As a long-time and perhaps long-suffering insulin pump user, this is
definitely great news!  I am a long-time Minimed Paradigm insulin pump user.
While using a pump definitely has great advantages over taking insulin via
injection, it is nearly impossible as a blind diabetic to use a pump without
someone to act as a sighted backup. Sure I can change out the pump i.e.
change the reservoir and tubing plus insert the canula into a new site, but
there is just no way that I can, as a blind diabetic, take full advantage of
all of the features of my pump. About all I can do is take a bolus before
each meal and any time I want to eat a snack. I've been a person in the past
who really would rather be in total control of my diabetes. But with this
pump, I'm afraid I simply cannot. I can't change the most simplest of
things, such as my own basal rates, as I simply cannot access the pump. I
have to wait for someone who is familiar with my pump to come to my house or
my employer and help me adjust it then.

It is probably the most frustrating thing I have ever faced as a blind
diabetic. In fact, I have considered time and time again just throwing my
pump into the trash and going back to taking insulin via an injection. I
know that we here in the NFB have written about how using a pump as a blind
person is possible. But I just go back to the same issue, you must have
someone sighted who can help you adjust the more complex settings on your
pump such as basal rates. I know there are some who have managed to do some
of the more complex things such as setting a temporary basal rate, but I
honestly don't trust not being able to see the screen to ensure I have done
the right thing or pressed the various buttons the correct amount of times
to get to the setting I want to change.

Sometime ago, there was a call to anyone interested in taking part in
helping develop an accessible insulin pump to respond via this very e-mail
list. At that time, the folks at DDI were going to be producing the pump, as
you have now shown in your message below. But, I volunteered and never
really heard much more. So, are you actively seeking anyone who can lend
advice etc. to the development of such a pump? If so, then I am definitely
very interested in contributing in any way I can. I would love to have the
ability of at least offering my input into such a pump and its design.

Thanks for reading my rather lengthy e-mail message :). If you would like to
talk with me further, please don't hesitate to write to me at:
danspach at tampabay.rr.com
Or at work via:
DavidA at FreedomScientific.com

Have a great evening,